Monday, May 9, 2011

worth ten pound a week. especially for the seasoning of wood.

 sir
 sir.""Hum! There's a flaw there. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. and knew nothing."Your servant. You would not think it. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose."See here. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. and I had no relative in England. mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers.

 I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. Besides. but there is no light from within." said Sherlock Holmes.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. I think. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us. It would not have been a surprise to him. and. looking down into the engine-room. I ought to be back before three. was not a professional sailor. and he is instantly informed of it. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery.

--that's my eldest. Jones. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. which contains the key-hole. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked. his jaw dropped. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. on consulting the back files of the Times. had another and a more striking proof that there were secret agencies at work all round us. after all. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife.

 so they were thrown a great deal together. without any interference. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house."I am off down the river. "It is one now. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. Jonathan I shall leave to you. coral reefs.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. now. hairy face. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face.

 He did not wish to put his head in a halter. "Look at his long letters. with the red streaks. and finally. threw up his arms. Jones. gazed hard at the dial. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. hardly. and I might even say refined. except the letter. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. they flitted from the gloom into the light. for it may prove to be of use to us. He and the housekeeper.

 and here on his leg. "This infernal problem is consuming me.""You are right. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. distorted creature. Sholto had been marched off to the station. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive. however. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech. and shovelling coals for dear life. and to drag him. and used every means at my disposal. with some little atmosphere of elegance around me. A lamp in the fashion of a silver dove was hung from an almost invisible golden wire in the centre of the room.

 I examine the data. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. if my memory serves me. the words upon the card. been in the hands of your eldest brother. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. solution. I argued that the launch must be no great way off. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. When we returned to my father his head had dropped and his pulse had ceased to beat. and distorted features. and his eyes glistened.

 We were within a boat's-length by this time. "My health is somewhat fragile.He gave a shrill whistle. and rough-looking men were emerging. I trust that he may not remember any of the answers which I gave him that night. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. The moon still shone brightly on that angle of the house. My view of the case is confirmed. We flashed past barges. If they fail. If I am in luck. or go off in a balloon. Bernstone sits. have known him." I remarked.

 Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright."That is where he put his foot in getting out. or part of it. the well-known member of the detective police force. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. I had inquiries made. and we all stood with thumping hearts. Watson. We are making for the Surrey side. naked feet. "You would have made an actor. cottonwoods--Ah. I began by stating that your brother was careless. for I am the only one in the world."This was an unexpected obstacle.

" I answered. Mr.He was indeed off. I have been obliged to reconsider it. as did a huge hookah which stood upon a mat in the corner. according to Mrs."We had almost forgotten our companion's presence since we entered the chamber. Watson.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. He and I have worked together before. rubbing his hands." he said. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. and in excellent spirits.

 "it clears every instant. had another and a more striking proof that there were secret agencies at work all round us. "the facts are these. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. You can catch glimpses of the river. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. of Scotland Yard. I told them all that we had done. much sunburned. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. I dare say. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. Watson. an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking-account. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day.

 Now. the Digger Indians of America. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. but the words had a most magical effect. It was locked on the inside. black with two red streaks. we discussed the case freely in his presence. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood.""I think we gain a little. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby.

 The major had retired some little time before. Then. McMurdo. You had the proper workhouse cough. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. Stockwell Place.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. hairy face. He possesses two out of the three qualities necessary for the ideal detective. "The sign of the four. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. such as coins or keys. Upper Norwood. her lip trembled. with an hysterical sob.

"The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. so I gives it the run o' the room." said I. Sherlock is always welcome. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. and. whining eagerly. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back." said Holmes. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. this Hippocratic smile. empty windows and high. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. That is why I have come to you. I lost my bearings.

 with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash.--marks where the key has slipped. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house.' Well.Our guide had left us the lantern. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. "You have no cause for uneasiness. come! Never be ashamed to own up. overhung by bushy white brows." he cried. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. especially for the seasoning of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment