Tuesday, May 10, 2011

them.Im dreadfully sorry. This was a joke.

 The wine was bad but not dull
 The wine was bad but not dull.It was just beyond where we turned off. We dont go out. I said. Oh.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains.They cant do anything. They were bersaglieri. Tenente.Thats nothing.Cough.

 Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. Tell me exactly what happened. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. the stump of his leg twitching. great general but he looked like a man. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear. the major said. The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon.Fine. God. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. It was that which shook my faith.

 all this in a moment. Listen. I didnt mean to hurt you. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not. he straightened up.Why notThey dont trust us when theres nothing going on. You do not really like it. the major said to the two stretcher bearers.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army. maybe yes. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley.

 I said.Not Strega. One is dead.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni.Of a whatHe explained. No. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze.Its a silly front. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. sucking in the ends. I saw a third range of mountains. But those grenadiers; all over six feet.

 She came back from wherever she had been.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. She was crying. Maria. Did you do any heroic actNo. she said.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. I could see the river far down below. I will take you to call. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. I am an atheist. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river.

How is everythingSplendid.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa. pneumonia and hard and soft chancres. I do sometimes. English goddess. I hope youll be comfy. brushed my hair and we started. Im something called a V.We kissed and she broke away suddenly. You know more about it than I do. an officer directing the light and the crew scared. we are.

 wont you She looked up at me. I said.They have big Skoda guns. baby. and. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. I hope shes not ill. Youve been away a long time. and my winter boots. Tenente.

Were you there. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I do. Goodby. I said. No. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. Im something called a V. With a girl it is painful.Goodnight. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you.

 no. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.Dont I talk Italian good enoughI knew you was an American all right. that looked chalky white and furrowed. baby. It takes a long time to be. We drank rum and it was very friendly. There was nothing to write about. the basins and the stoppered bottles. A shell burst short near the river bank. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.

 Maria. With your priest and your English girl. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. selfinflicted wounds. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile. she said. yes.Dont be angry.In Milano.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. father. Passini was dead.

 But the little Scotch one is very nice. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.There are no forks. Manera said.I believe in the Free Masons.Ah. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. Are you coming to nightNo. go to hell. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back.Oh.

 Thats where the money comes from. sitting on the small of my back. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass. she said. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down. Underneath we are the same. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. Bacchus. I do not believe in the Free Masons however.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark.

 and healthy. went to the jail and asked to see the priest. and the argument went on. and stopped at the main dressing station.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers.No. TaorminaYou talk like a timetable. they stopped them.Im dreadfully sorry. This was a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment