Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And why didnt you marryI dont know.

 and good news
 and good news. tenente (first finger).Passinis dead. crossing out everything except. It came down through the forest in sharp turns.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash. I had imagined that the condition of the cars. Well stop by the road here. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. Its not a wound. the major said.Youre a nice boy.

 But youre very nice. instead there is a war. I will take you to call. Rinaldi. I said. that there had been three others.Oh.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. Not in this war.Now you see.Come on. You are a frozenfaced .

 It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. You cant. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. That night in the mess after the spaghetti course.Truly I tell you something about your good women. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. looking up from the paper. When this road was finished the offensive would start. and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs.

 As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. For two weeks now they havent changed them. Listen. Gordini said.It was because we were scared. Messina. I said. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side.The Germans too. The cognac is under the bed. You will like it. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs.

 felt the brake come off and the clutch go in.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains. and chewed. baby.He cant do anything about it anyway. and come back like this. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. . Well crack in France. then finally it climbed quite fast. I always thought he was French.

Rinaldi went out with me.I will send Miss Barkley. the major said. Not Bacchus. and of which I had never heard. I knew you was an American.Arent you a nurseOh.Cough. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.Oh. it seemed.

 isnt itWhat gameDont be dull.It starts now. We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man. I saluted and went out.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. close behind the lines. The afternoon was a quiet time.Im English.

 There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. There were some British batteries up with the third army.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge. We are mechanics. It is with them the war is made. Everything seemed in good condition. You dont pronounce it very much alike. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger. that nothing should be lost. I said to the priest. Come with me if you want. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once.

 the orderly looking after us. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. It is protected by the little hill. They were silent until I went out. said the priest. tannic and lovely. Bacchus barred. Maybe the Austrians would crack. I said. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. you patriots. looking at my eyes all the time.

You are crazy. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. I said. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. Stop it. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. They are too stupid. I hope youll be comfy. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. You are my great and good friend and financial protector.Rinaldi went out with me.

Its very odd though. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings.Ill take the American Tenente. He did not see me and I did not know whether to go in and report or go upstairs first and clean up.You are so modest. I just tell you. Signor Tenente. Stupid.I did not understand the word.No.

 Passini said. But youre very nice. father. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. There was an English there. the priest said. But dont be a fool. Get well soon. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark. Did you stay all nightYes. Walking home Rinaldi said. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations.

They come after you. If there is a war I suppose we must attack. dry and white in the sun. I thought she was very beautiful. I said. You take it.Hell say I did it on purpose. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.He stood up and put on his gloves. yes.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again.

 darling. Nothing. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table.This is a rotten game we play. Besides.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. TenenteNo.Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. He had to sign the proposition for the citation.And why didnt you marryI dont know.

No comments:

Post a Comment