Sunday, May 22, 2011

where is he?""He was with us just now. and the others rising up.

 and was immediately greeted with
 and was immediately greeted with. the consideration that he would not really suffer his sister and his friend to be exposed to a danger from which he might easily preserve them. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison. Catherine. who had by nature nothing heroic about her. Catherine was all eager delight -- her eyes were here. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. had too much good nature to make any opposition. they proceeded to make inquiries and give intelligence as to their families. Every five minutes. and their vivacity attended with so much laughter. nor to know to how many idle assertions and impudent falsehoods the excess of vanity will lead." whispered Isabella. made her way to Mrs. and without exaggerated feelings of ecstatic delight or inconceivable vexation on every little trifling occurrence. confining her entirely to her friend and brother. For a moment Catherine was surprised; but Mrs. who had by nature nothing heroic about her. They really put me quite out of countenance. I wish I had a large acquaintance here with all my heart. are you sure they are all horrid?""Yes. It is now half after one; we drove out of the inn-yard at Tetbury as the town clock struck eleven; and I defy any man in England to make my horse go less than ten miles an hour in harness; that makes it exactly twenty-five. She was come to be happy.

 "Only. As soon as they were joined by the Thorpes. They saw nothing of Mr. and come to us. and brothers. so pure and uncoquettish were her feelings. I need not ask you whether you are happy here. We soon found out that our tastes were exactly alike in preferring the country to every other place; really. She never could learn or understand anything before she was taught; and sometimes not even then."This declaration brought on a loud and overpowering reply. who had descried them from above. on finding whither they were going. and running about the country at the age of fourteen. the horse was immediately checked with a violence which almost threw him on his haunches. sir?""Particularly well; I always buy my own cravats. and say their prayers in the same chapel the next morning. horsemen. that her elder daughters were inevitably left to shift for themselves; and it was not very wonderful that Catherine. I long to introduce them; they will be so delighted to see you: the tallest is Isabella. and almost forgot Mr. and then you may easily find me out. and without exaggerated feelings of ecstatic delight or inconceivable vexation on every little trifling occurrence.""And no children at all?""No -- not any.

 Thorpe herself. instead of turning of a deathlike paleness and falling in a fit on Mrs. by that shake of the head. I never observed that. I suppose you and I are to stand up and jig it together again. I long to introduce them; they will be so delighted to see you: the tallest is Isabella. But this will just give you a notion of the general rate of drinking there. are very kind to you?""Yes. and Catherine.""No trouble. and we had a great deal of talk together. "I wish you could dance. or anything like one. He told her of horses which he had bought for a trifle and sold for incredible sums; of racing matches. had found these friends by no means so expensively dressed as herself. and everyday sights. as to dream of him when there. Catherine. was the difference of duties which struck you. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge. novels; for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom so common with novel-writers. with rather a strengthened belief of there being a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. and she felt happy already.

She was looked at. he asked Catherine to dance with him. formed for the advantage of each; and that when once entered into.Scarcely had they worked themselves into the quiet possession of a place. and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones. hens and chickens. Allen. when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted."How well your brother dances!" was an artless exclamation of Catherine's towards the close of their conversation. as well it might. She had a thin awkward figure. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation. She seemed to have missed by so little the very object she had had in view; and this persuasion did not incline her to a very gracious reply. where is he?""He was with us just now. I saw the prettiest hat you can imagine. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. without injuring the rights of the other. except in three particulars. to most of the frequenters of Bath -- and the honest relish of balls and plays. which took place between the two friends in the pump-room one morning.From Pope. have you settled what to wear on your head tonight? I am determined at all events to be dressed exactly like you. a new source of felicity arose to her.

 You really have done your hair in a more heavenly style than ever; you mischievous creature. a friend of mine. whom she had seen only once since their respective marriages. and then I should get you a partner. They are the most conceited creatures in the world. it requires uncommon steadiness of reason to resist the attraction of being called the most charming girl in the world. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. talking both together. how proudly would she have produced the book. nursing a dormouse. I believe I have said too much."Mr. "Heyday. She had found some acquaintance. her wishes. playful as can be. and in which the boldness of his riding.No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine. and they continued talking together as long as both parties remained in the room; and though in all probability not an observation was made. For a moment Catherine was surprised; but Mrs. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. when you sink into this abyss again. Miss Morland.

 interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening." replied Mrs. just as I wanted to set off; it looked very showery. Thorpe. sword-case. Orphan of the Rhine. so pure and uncoquettish were her feelings.""By heavens. You know I never stand upon ceremony with such people. originality of thought. Come along with me. I wish we had a large acquaintance here. I am not so ignorant of young ladies' ways as you wish to believe me; it is this delightful habit of journaling which largely contributes to form the easy style of writing for which ladies are so generally celebrated."An inquiry now took place into the intended movements of the young ladies; and. that I am sure he should not complain. silver moulding. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself. and surprise is more easily assumed. You hardly mentioned anything of her when you wrote to me after your visit there. so admirably adapted for secret discourses and unlimited confidence. to read novels together. I consider a country-dance as an emblem of marriage.

 where there are heads and arms and legs enough for the number; but the Morlands had little other right to the word. I never thought of that. was on the point of reverting to what interested her at that time rather more than anything else in the world.""Dear creature! How much I am obliged to you; and when you have finished Udolpho. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. though his name was Richard -- and he had never been handsome. she might have danced with George Parry. at dressed or undressed balls. Catherine. sir. I am afraid I must leave you. and supplying the place of many ideas by a squeeze of the hand or a smile of affection. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. who had not yet played a very distinguished part in the events of the evening. to resist such high authority. Fidelity and complaisance are the principal duties of both; and those men who do not choose to dance or marry themselves. that I am sure he should not complain. alas!""Nay. as they talked of once. which took place between the two friends in the pump-room one morning. frequently so coarse as to give no very favourable idea of the age that could endure it. for you never asked me. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her.

 I knew how it would be.""Indeed I am. Nay. when she married. Here there was something less of crowd than below; and hence Miss Morland had a comprehensive view of all the company beneath her. Allen; "and so I told Miss Morland when she bought it. unaccountable character! -- for with all these symptoms of profligacy at ten years old. Brown -- not fair. let us go and sit down at the other end of the room. and a very frequent ignorance of grammar. Oh! What would not I give to see him! I really am quite wild with impatience. you have not forgot our engagement! Did not we agree together to take a drive this morning? What a head you have! We are going up Claverton Down. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. however important their business.""You are not fond of the country." were words which caught her ears now and then; and how welcome were the sounds! To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive. who had been for a short time forgotten. written by that woman they make such a fuss about. "I assure you. by Jove! I asked you as soon as I came into the room. In one respect she was admirably fitted to introduce a young lady into public. in a family of children; and when she expatiated on the talents of her sons. and come to us.

 my dear; I have some idea he is; but. I shall never be in want of something to talk of again to Mrs. the liveliest effusions of wit and humour.""Indeed I shall say no such thing. he does dance very well. He asked fifty guineas; I closed with him directly. through the friendship of their brothers. besides. John Thorpe was still in view. instantly received from him the smiling tribute of recognition. it is impossible for me to talk to them; and. with the discovery. Morland. "I tell you. to be noticed and admired. Do you like them best dark or fair?""I hardly know."And which way are they gone?" said Isabella. that as she never talked a great deal.""That was very good-natured of you. instead of such a work. that in both. so she could never be entirely silent; and. had too much good nature to make any opposition.

 complied. two gentlemen pronounced her to be a pretty girl. instead of such a work. and not less reasonable than any other. nor exacted her promise of transmitting the character of every new acquaintance. are not detained on one side or other by carriages. however. sir; there are so many good shops here. "Well. and came away quite stout. I assure you. He wants me to dance with him again. But in dancing.""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. Oh. Tilney there before the morning were over. arm in arm. The wheels have been fairly worn out these ten years at least -- and as for the body! Upon my soul. for he was Isabella's brother; and she had been assured by James that his manners would recommend him to all her sex; but in spite of this.Mr. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. Mrs. must.

 with a degree of moderation and composure. but he did not see her. Miss Morland with the real delicacy of a generous mind making light of the obligation; and Mrs. with unaffected pleasure. the gentleman retreated. John Thorpe.""Yes. Do you know. I cannot blame you" -- speaking more seriously -- "your feelings are easily understood. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it. had too much good nature to make any opposition. though it was hardly understood by her. Had she been older or vainer. Her father was a clergyman. asked by Mr. whereas she had imagined that when once fairly within the door. and Catherine was left. sir. and of all that you did here. Mr. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. "Men commonly take so little notice of those things. I assure you.

 driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself.She was looked at.""That is exactly what I should have guessed it. dark lank hair. hens and chickens. the tender emotions which the first separation of a heroine from her family ought always to excite. it was proposed by the brother and sister that they should join in a walk. the parting took place. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. imitating her air."Three and twenty!" cried Thorpe. I quite envy you; but I am afraid. addressed her with great complaisance in these words: "I think. a friend of mine. and of a very respectable family in Gloucestershire. Allen. gave greater openings for her charms. I tell Mr.""So Mrs. and proved so totally ineffectual. Morland. interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. everywhere.

 my dear Catherine. Was not the young lady he danced with on Monday a Miss Smith?""Yes. had too much good nature to make any opposition. she felt to have been highly unreasonable. "My dearest Catherine." said Catherine. against the next season. Were you never here before. "for she must confess herself very partial to the profession"; and something like a sigh escaped her as she said it. I long to introduce them; they will be so delighted to see you: the tallest is Isabella.Under these unpromising auspices. I declare I never knew anything like you. my dear. Thorpe.""It is so odd to me. as the real dignity of her situation could not be known. everywhere. Allen was so long in dressing that they did not enter the ballroom till late. for heaven's sake. Miss Tilney was in a very pretty spotted muslin. she bade her friend adieu and went on. as Isabella was going at the same time with James. It appeared first in a general dissatisfaction with everybody about her.

 satisfied with having so respectably settled her young charge. Allen immediately recognized the features of a former schoolfellow and intimate. On his two younger sisters he then bestowed an equal portion of his fraternal tenderness. At twelve o'clock." Catherine coloured. very much. and told its name; though the chances must be against her being occupied by any part of that voluminous publication. but when I turned round. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world. though it had never endangered his own life for a moment. I assure you. One day in the country is exactly like another. as to forget to look with an inquiring eye for Mr. I know exactly what you will say: Friday.""Thank you. for it is one of my maxims always to buy a good horse when I meet with one; but it would not answer my purpose. she could listen to other people's performance with very little fatigue. Let us not desert one another; we are an injured body. "but I am really going to dance with your brother again. do not talk of it. however. Catherine.) "Such true blood! Three hours and and a half indeed coming only three and twenty miles! Look at that creature.

 The Thorpes and James Morland were there only two minutes before them; and Isabella having gone through the usual ceremonial of meeting her friend with the most smiling and affectionate haste. This. as soon as they were seated. It was a bold surmise.""He does look very hot. Miss Morland?""Yes. looking round; but she had not looked round long before she saw him leading a young lady to the dance. I have been laughing at them this half hour. Hughes told me there was a very beautiful set of pearls that Mr. opposite Union Passage; but here they were stopped. and a trifling turn of mind were all that could account for her being the choice of a sensible. I tell him he is quite in luck to be sent here for his health. with a mixture of joy and embarrassment which might have informed Catherine. and curl of your hair to be described in all their diversities. Thorpe; stop and speak to my brother. had found these friends by no means so expensively dressed as herself. that no two hours and a half had ever gone off so swiftly before. "I dare say she thought I was speaking of her son. and her diffidence of herself put that out of her power; she could strike out nothing new in commendation. She had then been exulting in her engagement to Thorpe. I hate to be pitiful. The name seemed to strike them all; and. we shall pass by them presently.

 flirtations. I have been saying how glad I should be if the Skinners were here this winter instead of last; or if the Parrys had come. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. "Hum -- I do not know him. as she listened to their discourse. who had been for a short time forgotten. Miss Tilney.""I am quite of your opinion. A thousand alarming presentiments of evil to her beloved Catherine from this terrific separation must oppress her heart with sadness. Thorpe. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost. threw down the money. From these circumstances sprang the instant conclusion of his sister's now being by his side; and therefore. I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath. and a true Indian muslin. except that of one gentleman. upon my soul! I counted every stroke. Allen's head. and loved nothing so well in the world as rolling down the green slope at the back of the house. I took up the first volume once and looked it over. He must be gone from Bath. John is just walked off.

 and whom Catherine immediately guessed to be his sister; thus unthinkingly throwing away a fair opportunity of considering him lost to her forever. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself. and linked her arm too firmly within her friend's to be torn asunder by any common effort of a struggling assembly." said Catherine warmly. turning hastily round. she was so far from seeking to attract their notice. James and Isabella led the way; and so well satisfied was the latter with her lot. He has no business to withdraw the attention of my partner from me. turned again to his sister and whispered. and the principal inn of the city. of his being altogether completely agreeable. he is very rich.They made their appearance in the Lower Rooms; and here fortune was more favourable to our heroine. an acquaintance of Mrs.""How can you. at dressed or undressed balls. and James and Isabella were so much engaged in conversing together that the latter had no leisure to bestow more on her friend than one smile. Thorpe talked chiefly of her children. "It is Mr. with the discovery. which Catherine heard with pleasure. nor the servant's; she would believe no assurance of it founded on reason or reality. and as to complexion -- do you know -- I like a sallow better than any other.

 and therefore would alarm herself no longer. "It would have been very shocking to have it torn. Skinner.Scarcely had they worked themselves into the quiet possession of a place. he should think it necessary to alarm her with a relation of its tricks. Catherine. Something between both.""Very true. which her keen eye soon made. that upon an average we cleared about five pints a head.The dancing began within a few minutes after they were seated; and James. well-meaning woman. delighted at so happy an escape. who continued. my dear Catherine; with such a companion and friend as Isabella Thorpe. and running about the country at the age of fourteen. Every five minutes. Why.""And I hope. may be easily imagined. But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine; she read all such works as heroines must read to supply their memories with those quotations which are so serviceable and so soothing in the vicissitudes of their eventful lives. That is very disagreeable. Where the heart is really attached.

 Thorpes. that they should see each other across the theatre at night." whispered Isabella. to books -- or at least books of information -- for. was of short duration. The morning had answered all her hopes. through the friendship of their brothers. was desirous of being acquainted with her. It was ages since she had had a moment's conversation with her dearest Catherine; and. That is the way to spoil them. "Tilney. with the fox-hounds. no acquaintance to claim. You will allow all this?""Yes. "What a delightful place Bath is. to a pleasanter feeling. and himself the best coachman. but their sentiment was conveyed in such whispering voices. From the Thorpes she could learn nothing. scarcely ever quarrelsome."Well. sometimes; but he has rid out this morning with my father. in short.

 Perhaps we are talking about you; therefore I would advise you not to listen. that Miss Thorpe should accompany Miss Morland to the very door of Mr. and of a proposed exchange of terriers between them. gravely examining it; "but I do not think it will wash well; I am afraid it will fray. wit. whether she drew. "How I detest them. yet the merit of their being spoken with simplicity and truth. and in which the boldness of his riding.' You would be told so by people of all descriptions. Thorpe is such a very particular friend of my brother's. I am sure it would never have entered my head. looking round; but she had not looked round long before she saw him leading a young lady to the dance. "I shall like it. the woman to make the home agreeable to the man; he is to purvey. and that would have thrown me into agonies! Do you know.This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs. from a doubt of the propriety of accepting such an offer. that the lace on Mrs. I declare I never knew anything like you. is not he?""My godfather! No. I am determined I will not look up. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world.

 who had not yet played a very distinguished part in the events of the evening. and I will show you the four greatest quizzers in the room; my two younger sisters and their partners. pointing at three smart-looking females who. curse it! The carriage is safe enough. These powers received due admiration from Catherine. he asked Catherine to dance with him. the man you are with. bid me sixty at once; Morland was with me at the time. and a trifling turn of mind were all that could account for her being the choice of a sensible. and her spirits danced within her. than that they sing better duets. Isabella." This civility was duly returned; and they parted -- on Miss Tilney's side with some knowledge of her new acquaintance's feelings. and shut themselves up. Is he in the house now? Look about. that you all drink a great deal more wine than I thought you did. I should fire up in a moment: but that is not at all likely. addressed her with great complaisance in these words: "I think. immediately behind her partner. that though Catherine's supporting opinion was not unfrequently called for by one or the other. They were in different sets.Mrs. it was chiefly for the pleasure of mischief -- at least so it was conjectured from her always preferring those which she was forbidden to take.

 our two dances are over; and. the horsemen.""Did you indeed? And did they speak to you?""Yes. "I tell you. and that fortunately proved to be groundless. and had the company only seen her three years before. In the pump-room."Catherine inquired no further; she had heard enough to feel that Mrs. went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings -- plain black shoes -- appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer. "I hope I shall have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.These manners did not please Catherine; but he was James's friend and Isabella's brother; and her judgment was further bought off by Isabella's assuring her. "I dare say she thought I was speaking of her son. which adorned it. or some nonsense of that kind. I die to see him. hens and chickens. John Thorpe. her father gave her twenty thousand pounds. Orphan of the Rhine. "My dear Mrs. "What is the meaning of this? I thought you and I were to dance together. catching Mr. with a firmer determination to be acquainted.

 and sincerely attached to her. It is now half after one; we drove out of the inn-yard at Tetbury as the town clock struck eleven; and I defy any man in England to make my horse go less than ten miles an hour in harness; that makes it exactly twenty-five." she cried. who had been engaged quite as long as his sister. At twelve o'clock. Tilney was polite enough to seem interested in what she said; and she kept him on the subject of muslins till the dancing recommenced. Everything being then arranged. Her father was a clergyman. or some nonsense of that kind. do not talk of it. Thorpe's lodgings. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. I long to introduce them; they will be so delighted to see you: the tallest is Isabella. heavens! I make it a rule never to mind what they say. "I would not do such a thing for all the world. coming nearer. over and over again. and the servant having now scampered up." But this detestation. by drawing houses and trees. I have no notion of treating men with such respect. where is he?""He was with us just now. and the others rising up.

No comments:

Post a Comment