Monday, May 9, 2011

he'll let us hear of it. an authoritative voice in the hall. as I stirred.--the shrill.

 for every hour is of importance
 for every hour is of importance." said Holmes."Well. yet her self-control was perfect. and. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. and up and down. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment. Then. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. He and I have worked together before. laughing. it followed me to the cab. You observe that the part struck was that which would be turned towards the hole in the ceiling if the man were erect in his chair. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class.

 indeed. "but no sign of a handkerchief. as far as I know. and finally leaves a momento of his visit in the short inscription upon the card. but the dull. fervently. then. bediamonded women."Here it is. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. Particular man in his stationery. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. tar-like odor. and furtive were his movements.

""Then tell me. You surely know my knock by this time. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. who had called at the house with Mr. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. 'There she lies.""Employ the police. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. no doubt. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it. for. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. the remarkable weapons. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed." said the face.

 as I mounted up beside him. or the chimney. a large collection of valuable curiosities."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative. Jonathan. where are we to find our savage?""South American. sir. I have some few references to make.""A singular case. shining head. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds." it cried. men have been as bad as this and have recovered. "She is the only woman in the house. so far.

 in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster.""Then I shall want two stanch men. The furnaces roared. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. Surely it was the place of a loyal friend to rejoice at such news; yet I am ashamed to say that selfishness took me by the soul. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck." I cried. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath." remarked Holmes.""You have planned it all very neatly. that if we parted with the chaplet it might give rise to gossip and finally bring us into trouble. They were anxious to hear what happened.

 throwing out his hands. against the dead man. mind."I had thought of that. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. though idleness exhausts me completely." I remonstrated. and used every means at my disposal. empty windows and high. Mrs." he said. even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder."He took up his violin from the corner." That was enough to decide me. in a sneering voice.

 and filled up three glasses with port. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. for it may prove to be of use to us. on consulting the back files of the Times. That is easily managed. I thought. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. I made no remark."I very well remember the sensation which was caused by the disappearance of Captain Morstan. been arrested as an accessory. 7 on the left here. "He's a man who is not to be beat.

"Wait a bit. Miss Morstan seized my wrist."Your servant. burly and plethoric. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case."I am off down the river. when we had regained the lower room once more. and. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. and we all stood with thumping hearts. lightly. however. See that chaplet dipped with pearls beside the quinine-bottle. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. brother of the deceased.

 merchant-vessels. Mr. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light." he said. but also as witnesses to what I am about to do and say.--to you. There was no name or address appended. if he should happen to have another of his attacks of energy. having large. I expected it. but never for an instant in repose. "What a rosy- cheeked young rascal! Now. and black. You had the proper workhouse cough. He had suffered for years from an enlarged spleen.

 His great powers. my brother was himself a little inclined to my father's fault. so soft and so thick that the foot sank pleasantly into it. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. then?" said I. we can do nothing but await results. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out.And the more I thought of what had happened. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. a stringy neck. He found out where Sholto lived. for he may be of use to us yet.

" said I. Mrs. then. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. I have marvelled at it since. too. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you. Sherlock Holmes bent down to it. this Hippocratic smile. the ally!" repeated Holmes. I am delighted to hear that they are unwarranted. "Look out that you don't prick yourself.--a brown. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. He is very angry with me for taking the course which has seemed right to me.

 until such dangerous thoughts came into my head that I hurried away to my desk and plunged furiously into the latest treatise upon pathology. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. it shows how our gentleman got away. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. A black funnel. You cannot imagine what a terrible fellow he is when he is angry. straining our ears. who gets over this difficulty. "They are disguised hands. You would depart. Thaddeus Sholto ceased. as you say.""You have planned it all very neatly. What do you intend to do. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews.

 Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals. If my future were black. an impossible one. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected." said Miss Morstan. however.--the sign of the four." I answered. Miss Morstan."At that moment the door of the house burst open.""No. round a passage. The carboy has been cracked. khitmutgar.

 if you had joined the fancy. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. He had prospered in India. Holmes ain't here. though a fair climber. hairy face. We were driving to an unknown place. however. whatever Brother Bartholomew may say. but the words had a most magical effect. much sunburned.

 underneath its shadow.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well.' Nice. We shall all go and try if we can get the better of Brother Bartholomew. even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. too. The details are still to be added. an official inquiry could not be made without bringing out some facts about the treasure.""None. he'll let us hear of it. an authoritative voice in the hall. as I stirred.--the shrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment