Tuesday, May 10, 2011

and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. To save you trouble.

 I could not see the guns but they were evidently firing directly over us
 I could not see the guns but they were evidently firing directly over us. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. We passed a long column of loaded mules. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. Otherwise it will be the bronze.You were quite right. He sat down beside me. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. English. he said.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.What rotten luck.

 He looked like a king. The Italian salute never seemed made for export. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. lieutenant.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.Thank you very much. Then he was quiet. Naples. and he came from Amalfi. which was very good.He was gone.Dont get angry.

 There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman.He does really. I would go crazy. Hes coming to see you. Chew those.In the legs. she said.Defeat is worse. There was an English there. I got a rupture. Passini was quiet now. wont you She looked up at me.

 They were a real mask. painted gray and built like moving-vans. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. There was more to it than that. he said. They tell me youre an American. are youOh. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. The captain was having a great success with finger games.No. Ireland of Michigan. Miss Barkley was in the garden.

 Im Scotch.Sit down. That is why we have this war. We wont drop you again.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. You should go to Rome. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. But I did not know that then. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering.Priest today with girls.The drops fell very slowly.

Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi. The war was changed too. You better not go up there drunk. It was half of the brigata Basilicata.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. Go on tell me. We are all splendid. Something picturesque. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. Im Scotch. lieutenant! he shouted.Bersaglieri have run too.

Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. In Pittsburgh. Thats where the money comes from. Rinaldi shook his head. father. How is GordiniHes all right.Some troops went out.You were quite right. And you never know if the girl will really like it. lieutenant.The drops fell very slowly.

And youre all right I asked outside. I felt it against the back of the chair. We go whorehouse before it shuts.Youre dirty. wiped off the blade and pared off the dirty outside surface of the cheese.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. To your valorous wounds. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota.I felt it. Youre not an Italian. I said. I drove coming back and went fast with the empty car to find the man from Pittsburgh.

You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new. That night in the mess after the spaghetti course. I denied this. I like the simpler pleasures. the pillars with the marble busts. pneumonia and hard and soft chancres. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. Grappa. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. Passini said sarcastically.I didnt carry anybody.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant.

 Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. There is nothing as bad as war.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. You should go on leave. Some one was coming down the hallway. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. with strange planes. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations. depended to a considerable extent on myself. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.Look at the bump. I said.

The Germans too. And you do love meYes. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. I do. Do you suffer much Have a drink.Poor man. How is GordiniHes all right. I will get you a copy. the pillars with the marble busts. I remembered where I was going. Rinaldi saluted. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained.

 Yes. walking under the trees. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. I always thought he was French.Three hundred fives. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope.Like the Tchecos.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. Are you badly hitIn the leg. I said. I said. the cool nights.

 She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked. He was dressed. I said.I thought it over. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.You drive. I said. When this road was finished the offensive would start. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. To save you trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment