Monday, May 16, 2011

at the same time feel for the studs over which these fitted.

 The last few yards was a frightful struggle against this faintness
 The last few yards was a frightful struggle against this faintness. two dynamite cartridges! I shouted "Eureka!" and smashed the case with joy. the faint rustle of the breeze above. I felt a certain sense of friendly comfort in their twinkling.The Very Young Man stood behind the Psychologist.THIS.. And withal I was absolutely afraid to go As I hesitated. So I say I saw it in my last view of the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One.I wandered during the afternoon along the valley of the Thames. and the Morlocks had their hands upon me. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency. in a melodious whirl of laughter and laughing speech. had him by the loose part of his robe round the neck.Have a good look at the thing. closing her eyes. thousands of generations ago. But Weena was gone. I fear I can convey very little of the difference to your mind.

 strong. their lack of intelligence.the feeling of prolonged falling. And suddenly there came into my head the memory of the meat I had seen in the Under world. But it was slow work. Towards that. for instance." said I stoutly to myself. where are these imminent dangers? There is a sentiment arising. Some were bathing in exactly the place where I had saved Weena.I think I see it now. But I had scarce entered this when my light was blown out and in the blackness I could hear the Morlocks rustling like wind among leaves. to the living things in the sea. I determined to make a resolute attempt to learn the speech of these new men of mine. for nothing. and that peculiar carriage of the head while in the light--all reinforced the theory of an extreme sensitiveness of the retina. there is less necessity indeed there is no necessity for an efficient family. At last. with extreme sureness if with extreme slowness at work again upon all its treasures.

 and was now far fallen into decay. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs. But I said to myself. and it was only with my last glimpse of light I discovered that my store of matches had run low. Then the match scratched and fizzed.Within was a small apartment.I pressed the lever over to its extreme position.We are always getting away from the present moment. Here too were acacias.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes. Weena had put this into my head by some at first incomprehensible remarks about the Dark Nights. no social question left unsolved.The big doorway opened into a proportionately great hall hung with brown.I dont want to waste this model.The landscape was misty and vague. In the end. and. and then. Yet.

I had half a mind to follow. All the old constellations had gone from the sky. Going to the south-westward towards the rising country that is now called Combe Wood. struck with a sudden idea.and strove hard to readjust it.then this morning it rose again. looking more nearly into their features. I began leaping up and dragging down branches. For the white leprous face of the sphinx was towards it.I dont want to waste this model. and very hastily. and in all the differences of texture and bearing that now mark off the sexes from each other. and I surveyed the broad view of our old world under the sunset of that long day. and (as it proved) my chances of finding the Time Machine. chinless faces and great.He asks me in this note to lead off with dinner at seven if hes not back.leave it to accumulate at interest. tethered me in a circle of a few miles round the point of my arrival.But how about up and down Gravitation limits us there.

 I had the small levers in my pocket. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people. they would starve or be suffocated for arrears. and silently placed two withered flowers. the machine had only been taken away.now green; they grew. as to assume that it was in this artificial Underworld that such work as was necessary to the comfort of the daylight race was done? The notion was so plausible that I at once accepted it. They had to chatter and explain the business at great length to each other.the Time Traveller proceeded.Between the tables was scattered a great number of cushions. And here I had not a little hope of useful discoveries. Below was the valley of the Thames. I doubted my eyes. and started out in the early morning towards a well near the ruins of granite and aluminium.I took Weenas hand.Then there is the future. I went on clambering down the sheer descent with as quick a motion as possible.leave it to accumulate at interest.after the pause required for the proper assimilation of this.

 That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week. I solemnly performed a kind of composite dance.know very well that Time is only a kind of Space. screaming and crying upon God and Fate. The wood behind seemed full of the stir and murmur of a great company!She seemed to have fainted. I ran round it furiously.Scientific people.Of course a solid body may exist.and the Time Traveller stood before us. The main current ran rather swiftly.parts had certainly been filed or sawn out of rock crystal. Then he turned to the two others who were following him and spoke to them in a strange and very sweet and liquid tongue.knowing the hawk wings above and will swoop. I had only to fix on the levers and depart then like a ghost. this ripe prime of the human race. I thought it was mere childish affection that made her cling to me. Clearly. as they approached me. what we should call the weak are as well equipped as the strong.

Says hell explain when he comes. came the possibility of losing my own age.Parts were of nickel.andDuration. It will give you an idea. but she was gone. that the floor did not slope. and still better.Im all right. discords in a refined and pleasant life.and I was flung headlong through the air. Once the flames crept forward so swiftly on my right as I ran that I was outflanked and had to strike off to the left. There several times. and that sea anemones were feeling over my face with their soft palps. too.I stood up and looked round me. In the universal decay this volatile substance had chanced to survive.He said not a word. I could find no machinery.

 It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay.said the Editor of a well-known daily paper; and thereupon the Doctor rang the bell. The forest seemed full of the smell of burning wood. I stood with my back to a tree.which are immaterial and have no dimensions.Yes. I inferred. It was larger than the largest of the palaces or ruins I knew. upon which.The fact is.and the Silent Man followed suit.I wandered during the afternoon along the valley of the Thames. and interpolated therewith. was the presence of certain circular wells.But. was a question I deliberately put to myself. I took my own hint. and done well; done indeed for all Time. even the mere memory of Man as I knew him.

The Medical Man smoked a cigarette. Some way down the central vista was a little table of white metal. as they did..There are really four dimensions. In my trouser pocket were still some loose matches. beating the bushes with my clenched fist until my knuckles were gashed and bleeding from the broken twigs. that by chance. I had turned myself about several times. and was altogether of colossal dimensions. I made a careful examination of the ground about the little lawn. Yet I could think of no other. and there was no mistaking that they were trying to haul me back. though I dont know what it meant. in the light of the rising moon. through whose intervention my invention had vanished. and put these in my pocket. was an altogether safer resting-place; I thought that with my matches and my camphor I could contrive to keep my path illuminated through the woods. The thick dust deadened our footsteps.

I searched again for traces of Weena. as I supposed.said the Medical Man. still needs some little thought outside habit. I slipped on the uneven floor. dreaded black things.and that there is an odd twinkling appearance about this bar. as I see it. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake. it had attained its hopes--to come to this at last. and. At the time I will confess that I thought chiefly of the PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS and my own seventeen papers upon physical optics. as it seemed to me. and with the big open portals that yawned before me shadowy and mysterious.Not a bit. This I waded.Of all the wild extravagant theories! began the Psychologist. but when she saw me lean over the mouth and look downward. too.

The great buildings about me stood out clear and distinct. I disengaged myself from the clutches of the Morlocks and was speedily clambering up the shaft. had come at last to find the daylit surface intolerable. all the traditions.the impression it creates will of course be only one-fiftieth or one-hundredth of what it would make if it were not travelling in time. and I went on down a very ruinous aisle running parallel to the first hall I had entered. I shook her off.My fear grew to frenzy.said the Psychologist. and.I saw the white figure more distinctly. I saw a number of tall spikes of strange white flowers. I could see the silver birch against it. "Patience. you must understand. which had seemed to watch me all the while with a smile at my astonishment. I began to feel over the parapet for the climbing hooks.I was in my laboratory at four oclock. the same soft hairless visage.

I was particularly preoccupied with the trick of the model. I turned smiling to them and beckoned them to me. and then. Even were there no other lurking danger a danger I did not care to let my imagination loose upon there would still be all the roots to stumble over and the tree boles to strike against. Still.it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked. Several times my head swam.I dont know if you have ever thought what a rare thing flame must be in the absence of man and in a temperate climate.The geometry. But any cartridges or powder there may once have been had rotted into dust.and since then . having smiled and gesticulated in a friendly way.Still they could move a little up and down. the sanitation and the agriculture of to-day are still in the rudimentary stage. too. that restless energy. And here. and with the big open portals that yawned before me shadowy and mysterious. I left her and turned to a machine from which projected a lever not unlike those in a signal-box.

 and the verdigris came off in powdery flakes. And withal I was absolutely afraid to go As I hesitated. wading in at a point lower down. I was careful. the balance being permanent. Yet I felt tolerably sure of the avoidance.It must have gone into the past if it has gone anywhere. the Eloi had kept too much of the human form not to claim my sympathy. in the dim light. Then things came clear in my mind.and Thickness.and took up the Psychologists account of our previous meeting.But with this change in condition comes inevitably adaptations to the change. and so we entered.Its against reason. and in another moment I was in the throat of the well.who had been staring at his face.Look here.then this morning it rose again.

and passed away. not unlike very large white mallows. and I drove them off with blows of my fists. And this same widening gulf--which is due to the length and expense of the higher educational process and the increased facilities for and temptations towards refined habits on the part of the rich--will make that exchange between class and class. I thought I would make a virtue of necessity. the same clustering thickets of evergreens. with my growing knowledge. There were. However great their intellectual degradation.It appears incredible to me that any kind of trick. that should indeed have served me as a warning.and drank champagne with regularity and determination out of sheer nervousness. Then I looked at Weena. Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. though I fancied I saw suggestions of old Phoenician decorations as I passed through. A minute passed.Then.At first I scarce thought of stopping.I saw huge buildings rise up faint and fair.

 The sudden realization of my ignorance of their ways of thinking and doing came home to me very vividly in the darkness. with exactly the same result. Even now man is far less discriminating and exclusive in his food than he was far less than any monkey. The bushes were inky black. For such a life. the Workers getting continually adapted to the conditions of their labour. However. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers. and I failed to convey or understand any but the simplest propositions. I fancied I could even feel the hollowness of the ground beneath my feet: could. pointing to my ears.I wandered during the afternoon along the valley of the Thames.and helps the paradox delightfully. in the end. And then down in the remote blackness of the gallery I heard a peculiar pattering. I turned to Weena. and for five of the nights of our acquaintance. I found a far unlikelier substance. Here and there water shone like silver.

 It had never occurred to me until that moment that there was any need to economize them. I lay down on the edge. it seemed at first impenetrably dark to me. are a constant source of failure. The big building I had left was situated on the slope of a broad river valley.A moment before.The material of the Palace proved on examination to be indeed porcelain.and saw it first.You will notice that it looks singularly askew.I cannot tell you all the story of that long afternoon. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort. and very hastily.and went off with a thud. I fancied that if I could solve their puzzles I should find myself in possession of powers that might be of use against the Morlocks. and.The first to recover completely from this surprise was the Medical Man.Here was the new view. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. her face white and starlike under the stars.

naming our host. till. and ended--as I will tell youShe was exactly like a child.But presently a fresh series of impressions grew up in my mind a certain curiosity and therewith a certain dread until at last they took complete possession of me.The Editor filled a glass of champagne. "If you want your machine again you must leave that sphinx alone.For we should have perceived his motives; a pork butcher could understand Filby. too. thousands of generations ago. I must be calm and patient.I looked round for the Time Traveller. I felt very differently towards those bronze doors.I flung myself into futurity.and with his hands deep in his trousers pockets. that was how the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One presented itself to meThat day.the Psychologist from the left. I.I pressed the lever over to its extreme position. But.

 "Dance.with an air of impartiality.I heard the Editor say.and I suggested time travelling. or one sleeping alone within doors.sudden questions kept on rising to my lips. a wriggling red spot in the blackness. When I saw them I ceased abruptly to trouble about the Morlocks. It was natural on that golden evening that I should jump at the idea of a social paradise. languages. in which a star was visible.He drained it. and besides Weena was tired.for instance!Dont you think you would attract attention said the Medical Man. if the Eloi were masters.One might travel back and verify the accepted account of the Battle of Hastings. and I think. Great shapes like big machines rose out of the dimness. Two or three Morlocks came blundering into me.

 as it seemed to me. my temper got the better of me. and cast grotesque black shadows. too.The enemy I dreaded may surprise you. in what appeared to me impenetrable darkness. The place. great dining-halls and sleeping apartments.its practical incredibleness. of considerable portions of the surface of the land. and clearing away the thick dust. or had already arrived at. indeed. and the Morlocks flight. and the dying moonlight and the first pallor of dawn were mingled in a ghastly half-light. Somehow such things must be made.For instance.day again. and at the same time feel for the studs over which these fitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment