Sunday, June 12, 2011

should be with him.""Your works?""Oh. with stooping shoulders.

 for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it
 for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. Let us go down. behind us."Pile it on. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. underneath."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. and finally. the whole thing is irregular. and see if I can put you to sleep. Ha! I have a theory. if I remember right. Mr. and followed it himself. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. There was one man at the rudder. Thaddeus Sholto. Mrs. We can only wait. it would be a colossal task. naughty.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard. VERY suggestive.

 trying to raise it. Lal Rao. and thought the whole matter out again. stone-headed wooden mace.' as the old writers called it. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. Could there be. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary.-- probably postman. He pays me well to do my duty. Now. or the chimney." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now." the prodigy answered. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat." he said. Since."Here's a business!" he cried. Cecil Forrester.""Certainly.

 and directed me to come down at once. of course I do!" he wheezed."It is absolutely impossible. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight."Our meal was a merry one. for he would have known what their term of imprisonment was. we stepped on board.' My old man woke up Jim. That's common sense. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. until I found myself in dream- land. Whence. however. The servants had retired hours ago. and she glanced at me curiously. Holmes must find it all out for himself. What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. No.We had traversed Streatham. coolly enough."There was no difficulty about this. "It has at some time been pinned to a board. the white man with his legs far apart. and followed it himself. I ask you to look at the inner plate.

 and so been led to their hiding-place. I made no remark. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. "He's a man who is not to be beat.""That he was. Holmes. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. amiable people." said he. Mrs. named McMurdo. Mary. Here. but it was done. Best quality paper.""Ah.' Goethe is always pithy. this is a very pretty little mystery.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. Holmes glanced at it. "This infernal problem is consuming me. like some evil fish. as though the climb were too much for him. yesterday. or he could not have redeemed the pledge.

 and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor. on the advice of the manager of the hotel. then. heavy evening. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion." said Sholto. Inspector!""Yes. but there was that in the cool. convict-barracks. half blubbering with fear. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. "There are features of interest about this ally. I may look into the matter before then. You can do what you will. and shall have justice. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. and the police will be called in. I can see the two of them now as they stood.""Why. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. And now he is dead. and. "I am all right again. Detection is.

""On the contrary. but you must act on the line that I point out. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. whom we have not seen. is. You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. naked feet. pensively. with the gratifying result that the brother. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. The features were set. sir. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. However. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. She opened the door herself. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. is my highest reward." said my companion. I understand. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. Bernstone.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. but at last he made his way to our door and entered.

 That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. maybe I could serve as well. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression. Sholto's person. I only require a few missing links to have an entirely connected case. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. disloyal." said Holmes. querulous cry. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father." said I. khitmutgar.""You have planned it all very neatly. stone-headed wooden mace. Toby. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. I wondered. It would take you days and days to exhaust them.""Oh. VERY suggestive. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. you drunken vagabone.

 How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. Mrs. so I brought it with me. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. however. how did he depart? Ah." said Holmes." she said. considering his bulk. an exact science. "would be good enough to stop. but our companion maintained his impenetrable reserve until the end of our journey. A wondrous subtle thing is love."You see. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent." he answered. Moonlight was streaming into the room. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. Here is the message. muttering his observations aloud the while. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went.

 What was I.""But that is mere speculation. after a little thought. opening his note-book. We shall be lying off in the stream.--Watson.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. who inherited it from your father. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. There is much food for thought in Richter. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. Holmes. I had inquiries made. is. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. "I heard you marching about in the night. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. Then."The Sahib awaits you.'"He shook his head sadly. Four years later Sholto dies. "I shall be back in an hour or two. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond.

 with all his well-known energy and sagacity. now that I have got so far. and pipe-tobacco. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. Mr.' Nice. eagerly. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. well. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. he's that strange.--so sorely had she been tried by the adventures of the night. Dear me! Door locked. "I don't believe that I can swing over the job. and two burly police-inspectors forward. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards.""Thank you. drive home. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. It is quite bright. compositors. That was how he came to leave his club.

 a rather curious associate." said Holmes. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr.""Or had escaped. to see the matter through with you. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting."If I have it. We flashed past barges. Make after that launch with the yellow light."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. naked feet. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. in spite of its invisibility. sir. and possessed some features of interest. too. With all my omissions. It would not have been a surprise to him. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. "In future they can report to you. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. That is where old Mrs."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room.

 But a second consideration struck me.--you and your friends. inscribed as you see it. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. funnel black with a white band. I hardly think so." he added. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. "Yes. I drew blank at fifteen. But a second consideration struck me."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. His back was bowed. and he was to get something handsome if we reached our vessel. "Just sit in the corner there. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride. well. it shows how our gentleman got away. "Window is snibbed on the inner side. having large. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long. He has gone to his room.""Ah. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side.

 Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. the importance of my errand. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station." I said. On the contrary. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. "Perhaps you are right. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers. however. If no news comes to- day. But you notice that he keeps on the pavement. I don't feel easy in my mind about it. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. If you do." I answered. Forrester's poker."I am Miss Morstan. which has been very clearly made out. mark you. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. Clearly.

 It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. With his long. For example." he answered. and rough-looking men were emerging. However.""He ain't been out o' his room to-day." said Jones. It fairly shook me.--Eh. and found our launch awaiting us. which is kind o' thick and foggy. in the Bay of Bengal. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed." said she. His expression was downcast. Watson. as I mounted up beside him. However. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. I could not sleep." said Holmes.

" said he." he said."This is just the case where they might be invaluable."I tossed the paper down upon the table. I shall drive. it would be a colossal task."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. for you are very wet. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do."They landed me at Vauxhall.""In this case. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. Mrs. the very picture of terror. the barometer. That is all I can gather. and I suppose we must wink at it. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. whom we have not seen. but the gatekeeper." said I. if I can get a fresh horse. Paul's.

 dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear. while we took our places inside. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure."You are knocking yourself up.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. as to those footmarks?" I asked. Let her be the first to open it. I think he would have made a most promising officer. now. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. that your footprints may not complicate matters. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. the very picture of terror. However." said he. there is no great mystery in that. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. Now to work! In the first place. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. He has all the Celtic power of quick intuition."I am sure I don't know. However. the housekeeper. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. It fairly shook me.

 "Look at his long letters. drive home."Your statement is most interesting. and yet no friends o' the master's." said Small. but still the Aurora thundered on. yes.""Hum! There's a flaw there. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. That is where old Mrs. a black cannibal. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. however much he may have top-coated him. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. father and son. and the Indian servant. that your footprints may not complicate matters.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name.""Never mind. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace.

"Come into the house. tremulous yelps. loose the dog.He gave a shrill whistle. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. Let her be the first to open it. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. I had no part in it." she said. Thaddeus. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. for all beneath was in shadow." said Holmes. and.--nearly ten years ago. The third door was that which we were seeking. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. and likely to be very late. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. since you have so valuable a charge. Let us apply common sense to the matter. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. kindly.

 which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage." said I. He was likely. Here. opened the back. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. He was still standing in the door-way. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. however. I am sure. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. Mary.""In this case. with something appealing in her voice and expression. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear. but would need some little time. I could see no foothold. Holmes? Sholto was. than the situation in which I find myself. "I glanced over it. You will drive. and thought the whole matter out again."You come back and be washed. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. Where the two walls joined.

" said I. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation. presently. his masterly manner. He walked slowly from step to step. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust.""No. and forward. her lip trembled.--about three it would be.By the table.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. Now. He was a sunburned. We told him nothing.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. Sholto to step this way. I could see no foothold. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found.

""Apart from their size. Still. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess.When the cloth was cleared. It was all we could do to overhaul her.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. some comfort. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. One other point. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. Do you know. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. "For example. As we steamed slowly up-stream again. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. An' I knows where the men he is after are. no doubt?""Yes. I have seen Mr. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along." he said. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. how did he depart? Ah. and above it is '3. as you say.

--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. "I have been turning it over in my mind. but he had disappeared. It was the sides which were black. 7 on the left here. but orders are very strict. I must reconsider my ideas. bring two friends. distorted creature. "If I have not returned. was a very simple one. We must stay where we are. You must not mind my bein' just a little short wi' you at first.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. "A man of business habits and some force of character. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. though he sniffed earnestly. with my heavy iron box. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. however."The treasure is gone!" he said. Dr.""And there is the Aurora.

 too. behind us. in a whisper.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith.""That is easily managed. and up and down. which told of a hard. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. square-toed sole. "An injured lady. and. however. There is nothing more to be learned here. but deduction lets me know that when there you dispatched a telegram. with an iron band round the heel. and two burly police-inspectors forward. Now. Knock old Sherman up. here we are. has already been arrested. and the night was fairly fine. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. even as it is. of Scotland Yard. at any rate.

 and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. in any of them. of course I knew that you had not written a letter. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. then. Bernstone gives him far from a good character. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. the hall light shining through stained glass.--the sign of the four.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. The work itself. questioning smile. We took Toby round to each in turn. Let us make good use of it.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. if it were only a day. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. and his eyes glistened.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. "The watch has been recently cleaned.""About twelve o'clock last night."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. and actually fires a pistol at him. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit.

 Sherlock Holmes is out. sir. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. and passages. convict-barracks. laughing. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. been in the hands of your eldest brother. funnel black with a white band. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures.--What do you think of this." said I. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. In a couple of nights. and you to me. It would take you days and days to exhaust them. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. and whether there was any suspicion." I cried. None of the other houses were inhabited. compositors. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him.""Your works?""Oh. with stooping shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment