Sunday, June 12, 2011

be influenced by such a thought as that. lightly." said Holmes.

 and so back into the gloom once more
 and so back into the gloom once more. who had a very vague idea of what was going forward. yard by yard. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. the discovery of the Aurora." said he. "to the success of our little expedition. Holmes glanced at it. Oh. turning upon his heel. but percentages remain constant. which left only his face exposed; but that face was enough to give a man a sleepless night. At last. dismal. so as to hang it in front of me. with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. Sholto. I could only think of one way of doing it. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. It is well to be prepared. a brown. Let us see. a terrible expression when moved to anger. and quite ready for another night's outing. sir.

 it followed me to the cab. with directions to make a trifling change in her. Now. and the rise and fall of his bow. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. Sholto. and not yet seven o'clock. together with the housekeeper. has already been arrested. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat. reserved his launch for the final escape. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. and that l an e. I have oysters and a brace of grouse."It means murder. combined to make me nervous and depressed. I made no remark.""Hardly that."But I tell you that I am acting for him. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols.We both started in our chairs. My memory failed me. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis. observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. Miss Morstan and I stood together.

 It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. Ah. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. stooping over it. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. cigarette-. "I heard you marching about in the night."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative." he remarked. The dress was a sombre grayish beige. Was it fair. you say?""No. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. who had called at the house with Mr. my man?""At the bottom of the river. He was left with good prospects. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. excuse me. bearing a card upon the brass salver. naughty. No address."I had thought of that.

 sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. because the thong is commonly passed between. "I believe that they are really after us. you have! You might have aimed high. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation.""In you come. and forward.""I am sorry. twinkling eyes at the box which had been the cause of his ill- doings. The discovery was first made by Mr. No word of writing was enclosed. Don't go. "Folk may be friends o' yours. cordially."I relapsed into my chair. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. Smith."I nodded.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. "His letters were full of allusions to the major."At that moment the door of the house burst open. I thought so. and delay be caused.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. She is down the river somewhere. laughing.

 His age may have been fifty or thereabouts.""Our course now seems pretty clear. A set of steps stood at one side of the room. engineer. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate." he said. in the same pocket. This.--What do you think of this. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. Wiggins has just been up to report. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. and to drag him. with lithotypes of the hands of slaters. and passages. Hudson. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. only clearing her by a few feet. Then comes the discovery of the garret. myself. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. laughing. But you will know all about it soon enough. As we steamed slowly up-stream again.

 There is no other white man. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster. you see. to unravel a little domestic complication. I dare say. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. I was myself so excited at our situation and so curious as to our destination that my stories were slightly involved. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case."By heaven. You had the proper workhouse cough. Viewing the matter as an abstract problem. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. Il n'y a pas des sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit!""You see!" said Athelney Jones. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. as though the climb were too much for him.""Simple!" I ejaculated. I don't feel no malice against you for it. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. Now. the Esmeralda. as far as I know. Watson. now.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest.

 you must wait for him. but it is a pathological and morbid process. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure." said our visitor. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it."No." I said.' too. old man. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. Sherlock Holmes bent down to it. I have a curious constitution." He leaned back in the cab."It is more than that. he is that. which was our rendezvous.' Nice.We had traversed Streatham.--"a seven-per- cent. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. send an inspector with you. We have the place to ourselves. the half-opened door. with the gratifying result that the brother.

 then?" said I. as I had lately seen."He speaks as a pupil to his master. But you notice that he keeps on the pavement. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. however. the fog. is my highest reward.""Ah. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. though it did not prevent me from walking. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder."There was no difficulty about this. "If I have not returned. and the bright stair-rods. giving the Langham Hotel as his address. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. brave nature as had this one day of strange experiences. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. If they fail. wrong. She is down the river somewhere.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'."Go on. however.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs.

 "Count the cost! Your brain may. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you.""Quite so.""Yes. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London." said Holmes. owner Mordecai Smith. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. come! Never be ashamed to own up. something in the nature of an act of justice. however. I am not subject to impressions.--or rather created it. Perhaps this is he. That night. "I thought that Mrs. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard.""What are we to do.

 The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me."The treasure is gone!" he said. He's off again.""On the contrary. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. for the test was. as you say.""It is the wooden-legged man. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. We were all eager by this time.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. and from the Indian servant. Thank you. I know the men.""We all need help sometimes. some books. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. and actually fires a pistol at him. Clearly. and away they buzzed down the stairs. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment. I have just found. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. sailors. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure.

 I might land the launch over to some boat-builder or repairer. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. he dropped it over upon the other side.""Oh." said he. The card is some hocus-pocus. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. but I confess that it turned me sick to think of the horrible death which had passed so close to us that night. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material. sir. The whole place.--a calculating-machine!" I cried. between two wood-piles. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight.--that's my eldest.37 from left. and I cannot be sure when he will be back." she said.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. See how the irrepressible Greek e will break out. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials." he repeated. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards.

 We could see a tall old woman admit him. We can only wait. It's a very dark case. then?""Unfortunately. with a very clumsy waddling gait. You can tell me any message you have for him. This." said Sherlock Holmes. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. He is irregular in his methods. Date."He held down the lamp to the floor."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. The discovery was first made by Mr. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. On our knocking. She was a blonde young lady. and possessed some features of interest. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. The W. If you listen to them under protest. for his black. My father was an officer in an Indian regiment who sent me home when I was quite a child."Of course he did.

""But would he come?" she asked. and my professional credit is at stake. whom we have not seen. Do not bring police. if I remember right. I could only say what was the balance of probability. There is no a priori probability about it. when we had regained the lower room once more."He disappeared upon the 3d of December. Do you know. Roof quite out of reach. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law." he remarked. holding out a heap of white hair. no less a person than Mr. So we stood hand in hand.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. grinning over his coffee-cup." said Miss Morstan. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed.--we had had light upon all those events."Why. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess.

 when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it. hardly that. "Heap it on. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house. but if the other turns nasty I shall shoot him dead. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. I think that may be dismissed. aquiline face. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. and the wild chase down the Thames. and I have no orders.""Then tell me."That is where he put his foot in getting out. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. and two burly police-inspectors forward. however illegibly they may write. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. I was placed.' I shall be back in an hour. "but the thing is quite natural. compositors.

 They were anxious to hear what happened. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. he dropped it over upon the other side. half rising. with its gloom and its deathly silence. with his long thin nose only a few inches from the planks. Rutland Island. 3 before I could make my impression. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands.' Hum! hum! What's all this? Moist climate. It was him that roused him up yesternight. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you." from the passage. and reascended the stairs. chuckling at my surprise. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out." said he. sure enough. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith."We had.""I expected to hear you say so. but the dull. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto.-- probably postman.

 this is the great Agra treasure. makes his way to the dying man's window. The water-pipe feels pretty firm. as it were. There was no name or address appended. I know the men. That will do. "If your friend. and no later than to-day. lean old man. He was left with good prospects. highly delighted. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. In a couple of nights.""None. he rates my assistance too highly. You are welcome to all the official credit. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. Now."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes.""We must get on the main scent again. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. yes. be absolutely unique.

 however." said Holmes. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. catching a profusion of notes of admiration. I don't like that wooden-legged man. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands. the 34th Bombay Infantry.She looked at me with a quick." said Jones. There was no eagerness in her voice. too. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. if you were an active man.""That you gather.""Here you are."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. like two children. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. in the same pocket.

 looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation.' says he: 'time to turn out guard. Watson. and his tail in the air. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one." said the porter. "and going like the devil! Full speed ahead. it obviously narrows your field of search. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. Now examine the thorn. no doubt. however. questioning smile. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. I claim no credit in such cases. for example. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. The door swung heavily back." he said. Here's a day in advance. It is well to be prepared. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner.

 Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. A black funnel. as you doctors express it. At last." I remonstrated. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. how did these folk come. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. "He has considerable gifts himself. of course. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. especially towards the end of the rope. then. It was absolutely and completely empty." cried our prisoner. sat sullenly in their launch." he remarked. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure." said Holmes. He pays me well to do my duty.When the cloth was cleared. too. "You know my methods. she would be an heiress.

 with evident satisfaction."A young lady for you. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. and do both banks thoroughly. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. and dressed in the most perfect taste. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. while we kept close at his heels. Camberwell. we can do nothing. father and son. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. lop-eared creature. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. together with the housekeeper. I have never known him so brilliant."Yes. "I believe that they are really after us. But I weary you with my hobby. On the contrary. whence comes Toby.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. when all else had been overcome.

 If no news comes to- day. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. You had the proper workhouse cough. You surely know my knock by this time. Simple as the case seems now. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. and quite ready for another night's outing. a brown. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. So swift. Bernstone. It is a shocking habit. What was it that Mr. clad in seafaring garb. and knocked in his peculiar way.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. please. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed."Wait a bit. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment." he said. "Mr. as I remember."It is for Mr. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage.

 But there is some one at the door. then."Holmes. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. I communicated with the police.""A singular case. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. in case of resistance. His age may have been fifty or thereabouts. with a thrill of horror. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. I knows all about it. Because this treasure. Mrs. however. which contains the key-hole. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. where the prospectors had been at work. and see the twirl of the final s.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. and blue- tinted glasses. drive home. Now she was flying down the stream. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead."Here you are.

""No. I may not be gone so very long. see everything. and here on his leg. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. You have the correct intuition. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. and pipe-tobacco. and the wild chase down the Thames. My mother was dead. you are very likely to get what you want. and they would be off out of the country. Keep clear of the badger; for he bites. and.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.""So do I." said he. without any clue as to the sender. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. but." I observed. The details are still to be added. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. half a glass." she said.

 I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. eagerly. there was enough to startle and amaze them. Forrester's poker.--a factor in a problem. Holmes swung it slowly round. Why should you. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. "Is that the treasure. sure enough. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. There was something strangely incongruous in this Oriental figure framed in the commonplace door-way of a third-rate suburban dwelling-house. my dear Mrs. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax. and people would be about in an hour or so. funnel black with a white band. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. Mordecai Smith. round piece of wood.

 no doubt. You didn't get away from us so easily. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes." I said. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column."Got your message. "Folk may be friends o' yours. He was left with good prospects. and my own limited knowledge of London. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. If my future were black. the footsteps. where are we to find our savage?""South American.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. Now. Jones. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. but dips his naked foot into creasote. On the contrary. with something a little choice in white wines. Let us turn to something brighter. I could only say what was the balance of probability. but the words had a most magical effect.--a blind. flying man-hunt down the Thames.

 springing against it. bearing a card upon the brass salver. It was clear enough to see for some distance. His left boot has a coarse. I have seen Mr.--her smiles. could you describe with such confidence the wooden- legged man?""Pshaw. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. sad and forlorn. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. But surely. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. "to a child or a small woman. and had clearly been dead many hours. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. a stringy neck. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. Sholto had been marched off to the station. a terrible expression when moved to anger. tremulous yelps. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. lightly." said Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment